Car accidents are traumatic events that leave you shaken and confused. Normal reactions range from disbelief to rage, but regardless of what’s going through your mind, you need proper post accident care to be sure your body will heal effectively.
If you’re hurt, we can help
Major accidents and minor fender benders can cause injuries that don’t immediately show, yet can progress to headaches, pain, and even arthritis. And to make matters even more urgent, you may not even know that you’ve been hurt. Whiplash injury, the most common injury of a car accident, may not show symptoms for weeks after the trauma.
Whiplash is serious business, and if it’s not directly addressed with soft tissue therapy the injured muscles can remain seriously damaged causing chronic pain for months, years, maybe even decades after the injury. Brampton Physiotherapy + Wellness Institute is ready to help.
We are experts in whiplash rehabilitative care
The health professionals at Brampton Physiotherapy + Wellness Institute have the tools to give you expert care in treating motor vehicle accident injuries like whiplash. We know the story, and have developed a complete program designed to get you back on track and feeling good.
The program includes:
- Detailed assessments to address the accident, reported symptoms and complaints.
- Observations by therapist of injured areas of client.
- Paplation, test of range of motion, muscle strength, and ligament stability.
- Completed sensation test and other testing required for each individual case.
- Detailed reporting for your insurance and physician.
- Treatment plan preparation for your insurance company
- A combination of the following treatments
- Progressive exercises
- Postural alignment training
- Lumbar support
- Massage therapy
- Joint mobilization
- Manual & mechanical traction
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Interferential current
- Supportive pillow
- Home-based exercise program
In addition to the above, we will also provide you with progress reports and a discharge report when required.
What Is Whiplash?
When you suffer an auto accident, the pain that occurs at the base of the skull, neck, head, and shoulders is often called whiplash.
Recovery for most patients is within a few weeks, or at most a few months. But between 15 and 20 percent of whiplash victims develop chronic pain. Whiplash is no trivial matter. Only 70% of victims completely recover within one year, and the two year recovery rate is only marginally better at 82%.
Whiplash is more than just pain, it can also account for sleep problems, poor concentration and memory, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, fatigue, and weakness. And unfortunately many people don’t seek treatment for whiplash because of misconceptions about the injury and auto accident claims.
Symptoms of Whiplash
- Neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling in arms or legs
- Tightness or stiffness in the muscles
- Decreased range of motion in neck or low back
- Trouble sleeping
- Problems concentrating
The myths that surround whiplash account for many reasons that people don’t seek treatment. But the facts are damaged muscles caused by an auto accident can heal in ways that leave the weaker, less elastic, and more susceptible to future injury.
Some common whiplash myths are:
- It is primarily a muscular injury and just takes time to heal
- It was a minor fender bender so the stiffness I am feeling isn’t a big deal
- The more damage to the car means more injury to the occupants
- If the accident was my fault I will have to pay for my medical bills
- I don’t want to take advantage of the insurance companies nor am I seeking money in my pocket.
But the facts of whiplash treatment are that if caught early enough, inflammation and scar tissue can be reduced leading to a more complete and healthier healing of the injury. Therapies like soft tissue release help whiplash sufferers regain muscular strength, flexibility, and normal functioning by correcting and aligning the scar tissue.
Treating whiplash after an auto accident
The first steps after an accident are important ones. Often times there are no immediate pain after an auto accident, but in time pain and soreness become severe. Even what appears to be minor bruising can lead to more serious conditions later if not evaluated and treated. And this evaluation and treatment should occur as quickly as possible.
The first 24 hours of treatment for whiplash injury should include:
- Ice applications: Applying a cold pack to the affected area is helpful to reduce pain and swelling.
- Alternating ice and heat: After the first 24 hours, alternating between hot and cold packs on the affected area further assist the healing process.
- Gentle and active movement: Movement is very important to the healing process. Move the head and neck gingerly through a full range of motions as long as the movement is comfortable and not forced.
- Anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants: Take these as prescribed by your doctor. Inflammation is often associated with whiplash, and these medications will work to reduce it.
You are already going through a lot. We will handle all aspects of your motor vehicle accident treatment and accident claim; from helping you properly complete claim forms to medical legal documentation and, if required, we can even arrange for a free consultation with a reputable law firm that specializes in protecting car accident victim rights.
Insurance and Billing
Brampton Physiotherapy + Wellness Institute is the first choice of many family doctors for their patient’s treatment. But no referral is required to receive our help and we are able to bill your insurance directly in most cases.
We accept the following insurance:
- Great West Life
- Sun Life Financial
- Blue Cross
- Green Shield
- Standard Life
- Industrial Alliance
- The Equitable Life Insurance
- Wawanesa Life
- Empire Life
- The Co-Operators
We also accept Visa, MasterCard, and Interac.