While you’re pregnant, your body experiences a countless number of changes that are not only hormonal, but also biomechanical and postural. If you are currently pregnant or are considering having a baby in the near future, it is a good idea to have a chiropractor you can rely on. Lower back pain is highly common during pregnancy but with the help of a chiropractor in Brampton, your pain can be alleviated through a safe, non-invasive form of treatment.
Common Bodily Changes During Pregnancy
As it prepares to carry your baby, your body goes through a number of changes including:
- Your centre of gravity shifts forward and there is an anterior shift in your pelvis
- Lower back muscles become shorter and tighter, and gluteal and hamstring muscles become weaker and stretched
- Extra stress is placed on the lower back and neck due to increased curves in the lumbar and cervical regions of the back
- Abdominal and lower back pain is common as a result of the stretching and stressing of ligaments which surround the uterus
- Additional pressure is put on the psoas, tensor fascia lata (TFL), quadratus lumborum and piriformis muscles which causes imbalances, tightness and even pain
- Ligaments become looser as a result of various hormonal changes
- Joints become less stable, particularly the pubic symphysis and sacroiliac joints
Chiropractic Care Provides Safe Relief from Pain When You Are Pregnant
Through the use of gentle, soft tissue techniques, tight ligaments are relaxed and pain is reduced and even eliminated. Chiropractic adjustments are safe for both baby and mom and our chiropractors in Brampton provide special tables and pillows that allow you to lie comfortably face down while you are treated. You can experience greater comfort through chiropractic treatments that help to increase motion in your joints, particularly the joint at the front of the pelvis that is placed under an inordinate amount of stress. As we focus on relaxing the tension in your ligaments, our Brampton chiropractic care can help treat symphysis dysfunction and diastasis, as well as pain caused from the broad and round ligaments. We often use wedge-shaped blocks to restore the pelvis to a more normal position, thereby reducing pain.
Be Natural and Comfortable Throughout Your Pregnancy
Chiropractic care provides pain relief without the use of prescription drugs or invasive techniques. Women who choose to take advantage of chiropractic adjustments throughout the duration of their pregnancies report faster and easier deliveries and chiropractors employed at the Brampton Physiotherapy + Wellness Institute are trained in the Webster Breech Technique. This is a technique specifically designed to reduce the torsion in the uterus, allowing the baby to move itself into the proper position for a less painful, safe delivery.
Pain is not healthy during your pregnancy – for you or your baby. By receiving regular chiropractic adjustments, you can ease your pain, reduce your stress and make the process much more pleasant, from beginning right through to delivery.